Ashkal Alwan is seeking a part-time Library Coordinator to take care of the library space, content, and activities; interacting with library visitors; developing and maintaining our cataloguing system and audiovisual archive.
Starting date is October 1, 2016.
General Library Maintenance
- – To maintain the upkeep of the library’s physical space.
- – To assist all guests in reaching the material they need.
- – To coordinate with visiting professors, fellows, artists for reading recommendations/donations
- – To set-up and keep track of library borrowing subscriptions (currently only for HWP fellows)
- – To maintain and upkeep the Ashkal Alwan Archive (digital and physical : past productions, publications, documentation, press, etc.)
- – To ensure and coordinate maintenance for the media center (computers, digital storage, printer)
- – To assist Ashkal Alwan staff in compiling reports on the performance of the library.
- – To maintain the storage room.
- – To ensure communication, transparency and continuity among library staff
- – To setup and maintain a suitable ILS or cataloguing system, through consulting with expert bodies working in the field/ region (currently using LibraryThing.com)
- – To revise existing catalogues, and to compile and complete the entry of remaining data for cataloguing (publications, films, digital archive)
- – To setup short orientation for staff, partners, and providing hands-on training when needed.
- – To complete and maintain the alphabetical sorting of all items in the library, keeping an accurate call-numbering and labeling system in place with the existing books as well as new arrivals.
- Audiovisual Archives
- – To complete the migration of the audiovisual materials, from various mediums (tapes, DVDs, and hard drives) onto the new pan.do/ra system.
- – To maintain clear documentation of the process of adding materials to the archives, and backing up.
- – To maintain a robust backup system for all materials on the AV archives.
- – To continue the improvement of the system and solving any technical bugs and glitches.
- – To ensure that users and researchers are oriented to how to use the tool, and to encourage further use of it (and populating it).
- – To complete the collections of existing artists in mediatheque and contact non-existing artists for new material.
Outreach, Collaborations & Library Development
- – To propose and contact possible other specialized libraries to collaborate with. This includes conducting field visits, collaborating with other libraries’ staff, and acquiring any existing indexes for the libraries of choice.
- – To provide input for new material to purchase and for the programming to be developed within the space.
- – To actively improve the library’s public profile through online activity that includes faceBook posts about new arrivals, tweets, and maintaining the web page and newsletter for library related information.
- – To set up publication exchanges with institutions regionally and internationally.
- – To maintain the bookshop, keep track of the sales and inventory.
- – To update the publications page on the Ashkal Alwan website.
- – To coordinate online book distribution (Antoine online/Keeward).
- – To maintain, outreach and build on library social media presence (Facebook, instagram).
- – To manage and assist with staff and visitors’ use of the media center (Xerox copying, scanning, printing; burning/copying CDs/DVDs; supervising access to digital storage).
- – Working knowledge of library cataloguing, indexing, and data entry
- – Broad knowledge of ILS programmes available on the market
- – Basic knowledge of wordpress/html
- – A commitment to the engagement of audiences with libraries and discursive spaces
- – Interest in researching for and developing the library content material
- – General knowledge in art, multimedia material, and/or art publications
- – Good knowledge of social media tools (Facebook, Instagram)
- – Flexibility and basic knowledge of I.T. tools (computers, network, digital storage, Xerox)
- – Organization and attention to detail
- – Ability to keep track of expenses, and create financial reports
- – Good command of English and Arabic language, written and spoken
- – Ability to work independently, within a team, and with partner organizations
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your CV.